Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Steampunk

I stumbled on a new style/genre today that appeals to me very much, called Steampunk. It is basically a merge of modern and Victorian, as in when steam still powered things. Apparently, according to Wikipedia at least, it is a sci-fi/fantasy subgenre, which also appeals to me. I'll let you read that entry if you're interested. No need to reiterate the entire article here, what you all want, I'm sure, are pictures! This was featured on the Popular Science website, but the Steampunk Workshop is very expansive and fun too look at. I'm not sure how many people are involved so I will just say "he." He takes modern things and makes them look completely old fashioned. Check out the monitor and keyboard below. Yes, they really work. That is the whole point. Very modern things like computers tend to go out of style very quickly (remember those giant macs in transparent gumdrop colors?) and I think this is an excellent way to stylize things so that they will never go out of style. The problem remains that they will be technologically obsolete in a few years, but at least they will look good until then.

No comments: